Tripoli or Death

We went to be free,
like you.
We drink coffee
by Colosseums
and Roman roads.
Chatting by text
on our Iphones.
A once beautiful country
with secrets in its
archaeology,
I could be in Iraq,
Syria, Libya,
Egypt or Palestine.
Once I was a plasterer
then I picked up arms,
now I lead men
through steel storms
crying Tripoli or Die.
The first man I shot
got hit between his eyes
his head exploded
from behind.
I was surprised that life
was so easy to take
and went on with the business
of reaching Tripoli
or the blackness of death.
We made our goal,
with the help
of American bombs.
Which left our country
in ruins, now war
seems endless.
I managed to escape
to Italy, I sit in
a coffee shop
sipping an espresso
with my family.
Across the sea from me
the middle east is burning
The med is one side
paradise and one side hell.
A sea that separates
secular democracy,
civil war and budding
religious theocracies.
That isn't what we fought for
we fought for freedom too
just as you did in
world war one
and world war two.
The last place I visited
after Gaddafi died,
in the eye of the storm,
before many factions
began to brawl.
The Arch of Marcus Aurielus.
A monument to Roman rule,
a beautiful piece of geometry
and collective work
I held it awe,
standing beneath the arch,
I marveled at the keystone
that has kept it upright
for over 2000 years.
Then I picked up my bag
and waved it goodbye,
I was on my way to Italy
to be with my wife and child,
whose waiting for me
had been a hell to pay
every day not knowing
if I would survive
to kiss them goodnight.
Now we walk hand in hand
eating gilati and I hope one day
our home will become
what we dreamt of when
we screamed Tripoli or death.

By Anonymous (found online and recreated under fair usage)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diamonds

Vaudeville Fascism

Pathological Voting for the Win